Sunday, 6 March 2011

Rose Cushion Tutorial.....


How to turn a plain 'ol thing into a pretty little thing :) and ....Gulp my first ever tutorial....

For this little cushion cover with lovely rose bud applique and pompom trim.
you will need

* A plain cushion cover ( I made this one from some thrifted fabric and if I'm honest I did the tutorial to include making the cushion but I met myself coming backwards twice and totally confused myself, so decided to keep it simple, for your sake)

* Pom pom trim/ricrac or ribbon

* Bondaweb

* A nice piece of fabric with a big ( 10cm or more) flower print on it

* Pins

* Take the bondaweb and your motif fabric and place the bondaweb on the reverse side of your motif, iron the bondaweb to the fabric and then peel off the backing paper.
*Cut around your motif as neatly as you can

* Right side facing up, iron your motif onto the fabric, I put it in the middle, but anywhere that takes your fancy is fine, not only does the bondaweb stick your flower onto the fabric but it seals the edges too so it won't fray, you can leave it just as is or I sew round the edges just to finish it off a bit more....up to you......


* Then take your lovely pompoms and pin them neatly as near to edge of the cover as you can.(if your cover has a zipper opening don't put them on the edge where the zip is) Make sure your pompoms are free to 'dangle' off the edge. Sew them on making sure the ends are turned in to avoid fraying. Repeat on the opposite side.


* You can sew ric rac or ribbon along the edge too just to finish the look and to hide the braid that the pompoms are attached to.



Hope that makes sense.... :)
This little project was inspired by the fabric I used last week for my curtains, there were little bits left and I couldn't bear to throw them away, actually I got a bit carried away.....and customised a few other things while I was at it.....


Hoping you had a lovely weekend full of sunshine and blue skies

x x x x x x x


11 comments:

  1. You my dear inspire the heck out of me!!!! I really wish I would just thread up my sewing machine..I do have one you know..very hard to believe. I wish you lived just across the street...I think I would buy everything of yours.

    Sending you lots of happy thoughts this week my sweet TALENTED friend...xoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cushion, can I just ask where do you get your labels made as I desperately need some.
    Thanks
    Pene

    Ps have only just found your lovely blog but am now a follower x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely cushion and a great tutorial, you make it look really easy ;-) Have a lovely week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for saying it looks easy, I was so worried I had made it much more complicated than it actaully is :),
    I also forgot to say you could hand sew this if you didn't have a machine and Pene - the labels are from Cash's UK they do woven school labels but they have a big selection of colours and designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cushion is lovley. I totally want to do SOMETHING with some pompom trim soon, just not sure what!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Jane, thanks for sharing! :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh tis gorgeous! I have some lovely rosy fabric, will definitely have a go! Such a fabby tutorial, thank you Mrs teawagon!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh yum yum..........looks fab...........shall definitely give this a try! Never really thought to just jazz up existing cushions. Much better for me than making from scratch as I am still pretty useless with my sewing machine!!!!!!

    Happy monday to you!

    Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. get you with your tutorials!!!
    Love the cushion (natch). Hope we're still on for wednesday fabric buying (and maybe a cup of tea/mouthful of cake)?
    You remember I (stupidly) promised Gisela at leons that I would return wearing the dress I'd made with her fabric??! I might surprise you!

    maybe I should do a 'making a dress from a pattern' tutorial...it could include a couple of tantrums and a little weep when I couldn't understand the instructions, small kick of the machine when it didn't do what I asked and the very rushed last bit when I wanted the dress finished and I wanted it NOW!

    oooops, taking up too much space...fee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!! I have those roses on my pillowcases and i LOVE them.
    I'm planning my Connievan curtains and am thinking blue/white gingham with a strip of floral along the bottom, and now of course I think I may need pompom trim to finish it off. Yes, thats decided then. Many thanks for the inspiration!
    Lucexx
    ps was looking at bunting pics over on Flickr and I have to say your pics were by far the most beautiful Jane, the way you style your photos is divine ♥

    ReplyDelete